18500 Murdock Circle
Job Number: 399687
JSG is currently looking to hire a Junior - Financial Accountant – (Grants/Single Audit desired or local gov't experience)
Location: Charlotte County (Port Charlotte, FL)
6-month Contract to Hire
Performs technical and analytical work for Charlotte County in the preparation and maintenance of accounting records relating to various Grants received by the Board of County Commissioners, the Sheriff, and Supervisor of Elections.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- This position’s main responsibility is the review of grant awards and expenditures.
- Responsible for fund accounting activities and review of select governmental funds.
- The incumbent must familiarize oneself with grant requirements and will prepare the Schedule of Federal and State Awards (SEFA) for the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR) of the County.
- This position will work closely with the external auditors to ensure that the SEFA is prepared in accordance with GAAP.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Works closely with County fiscal staff in the analysis and reconciliation of Grant expenditures required under the Single Audit Act.
- Prepares the year end Schedule of Expenditure of Federal Awards and State Financial Assistance.
- Performs reconciliation of selected financial data.
- Prepares journal entries for various accounts.
- Researches financial records to assure accuracy and to answer questions.
- Prepares year-end accrual and adjusting journal entries.
- Maintain lease and subscription-based information technology arrangement contracts and database and prepare year-end entries for proper reporting
- Reconciliation of WCIND accounting, especially at year end to determine if revenue accruals are necessary.
- Prepares various reports, schedules and analysis as requested.
- Serves as a resource to other Finance staff and troubleshoots problems to assure accurate maintenance of financial data.
- Responsible for accuracy and completeness of financial analysis work performed.
- Assists with special projects and other duties as required.
- Must maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent knowledge and usage of grammar, punctuation and sentence structure. Proficiency in Excel and other Windows-based software required.
- Superior communication, initiative, leadership and organization skills are required with the ability to apply sound judgment.
- Proper planning skills with the ability to apply analytical rational when evaluating problems to create solutions is also required.
- Ability to coordinate projects and accomplish tasks with and through the efforts of peers and/or subordinates.
- Ability to identify the need for and coordinate the completion of modifications to existing policies, procedures, and accounting systems as required.
- Must be able to work effectively with co-workers and members of other departments. Will interface with Finance department clerical staff.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or related field from four-year college or university; and two years related experience and/or training. Experience in Governmental Accounting preferred.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees at the organization.
** Johnson Service Group (JSG) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. JSG provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.