Job Function: Engineering
Job Number: 398072
Johnson Service Group (JSG) is recruiting for a, Senior Engineer / Materials Specialist, for a 12-month contract assignment supporting the Hanford Waste Treatment Plant near Richland, WA. This onsite role offers a W2 hourly base rate with time and a half for overtime, per diem, and mobilization / demobilization. Our client is targeting $80.00 - $85.00/hour for this role.
U.S. Citizenship is required.
Target start date: 09/18/2023
The Hanford Tank Waste Treatment Plant will use vitrification technology to process and solidify radioactive and chemical waste stored at the Hanford site. This position is located 22 miles north of Richland and works a 9/80 schedule, offering every other Friday off.
- Executes assignments concerned with specialized or unique engineering and/or scientific requirements in material selection and corrosion assessments.
- Has technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, and coordinating MET assignments.
- This involves exploration of subject area and definition of scope, and may involve development of novel concepts, approaches, and solutions.
- Involves overseeing the welding, coatings, codes and standards, and material selection issues for WTP Engineering and working with Subcontractors and Construction to resolve emerging issues.
- Provides support to the design and execution of nuclear and chemical waste processing facility in collaboration with engineers responsible for procurement and design of systems and components.
- Emphasis on selection of materials and resolution of materials and metallurgical issues arising during the design, procurement, and construction activities. Focused efforts involve addressing unanticipated issues that arise in advancing the design.
- Evaluation of specifications for specific pieces of equipment to ensure that they have correctly extracted generic MET requirements.
- Evaluation of supplier deviation requests to ensure compatibility with the MET requirements specified in the purchase order.
- Review of nonconformance reports, construction deficiency reports, and field change requests to ensure sound technical resolution of technical deficiencies.
- Review of component design as necessary to ensure that MET requirements have been successfully implemented by the supplier.
- Act as the subcontract technical coordinator for a subcontract with an ASME NQA-1 testing laboratory for the MET group.
- Evaluation of procurement documents against the applicable corrosion evaluations, generic project requirements, applicable codes, standards, and/or specifications, and design criteria database commitments to ensure MET requirements have been properly addressed.
- Support the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation, and satisfaction.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Science or Engineering
- 9+ years of experience with the interaction of process chemistry corrosion mechanisms including general corrosion, pitting corrosion, stress corrosion cracking, and crevice corrosion, in austenitic stainless steels, nickel-based alloys, and duplex steels in acidic, neural, and caustic solutions
- Knowledge of the integrated application of engineering design principles and safety regulations and documentation within the DOE Complex
- Knowledge of engineering/scientific systems, calculations, applications, construction methods, and materials is required
- Significant experience using industry standards and national codes and standards as it relates to selecting and evaluating materials in chemical environments
- A broad working knowledge of precedents in national consensus code, specification, and standard, familiar with the principles and practices of related technical areas
- Understands technical issues and costs related to selection of typical design features within discipline
- Ability to utilize Microsoft office suite of products
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check
- Must be able to obtain a Department of Energy badge for access to the Hanford Site
- Professional Engineer (PE) license.
- Recognized and respected within Bechtel for technical expertise in the specialized field and has a growing reputation in the field of materials science or metallurgy
- Participation in technical society committee or a code committee is desired
- Familiar with welding methods and good practices, including the requirements for WPSs and PQRs, NDE procedures
- Familiar with ASME, AWS, API, and ASTM codes and standards including ASMENQA-1, ASME BPVC, Section II, Section V, Section VIII, and Section IX; ASME B31.3; AWS D1.1; and AWS D1.6
- 10+ years’ experience in the procurement of components work in commercial nuclear power or DOE projects
- Experience at U.S. DOE Facility or NRC licensed facility under ASME NQA-1 Quality Assurance Program
- Knowledge of related construction practices and the economic tradeoffs involved
Johnson Service Group, Inc. (JSG) is a North American leader in the staffing and consulting services industry, with over 35 years of experience investing in people and companies.
**Johnson Service Group (JSG) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. JSG provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.