Job Function: Engineering
Job Number: 400721
Johnson Service Group is actively seeking a Senior Instrument Engineer for our client in Charleston West Virginia.
Senior Instrumentation Engineer provides instrumentation/controls and often electrical team supervision on projects by directing project execution activities and department deliverable creation for one larger or several smaller projects. Position is accountable for the safe/sustainable engineering, quality, cost, and schedule delivery of all work by the discipline team. Position completes discipline technical work for projects, as required and time permits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading a team of supporting engineers and designers to complete project deliverables
- Scheduling and directing projects within the Electrical-Instrumentation-Controls Department
- Determining scope of work, job objectives, and work-hour budgets on projects assigned to the group in concurrence with the Department Manager
- Performing and reviewing the analysis and design activities in completing complex engineering design projects from general drawings and instructions
- Directing other engineers, designers, and drafters in the production of construction drawing packages
- Providing detailed instrumentation and control designs for distributed control systems, programmable logic controllers, loop diagrams, instrument location plans, junction box layouts, marshalling panel layouts, conduit and cable schedules, instrument indexes, input/output lists, and installation details using company standards and drafting techniques
- Assuming responsibility for technical accuracy and constructability of finished designs
- Performing thorough checks of Instrumentation design packages following required checking procedures
- Participating in relevant meetings
- Preparing progress reports
- Ensuring any changes comply with project change management processes
- Assisting during procurement, construction, and commissioning activities
- Mentoring and helping grow the department in experience and resources
- Keeping current with the latest developments and technical innovations in instrument and controls engineering
- Communicating effectively with the electrical, instrument, and controls engineering team and project stakeholders, including the Customer.
- Provide input to P&ID’s including instrument selection
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering Required
- Registered professional engineering credentials preferred
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering or Chemical Engineering preferred
- Highly effective technical and practical engineering skills with experience in the polymer industry
- Ability to consistently deliver quality, accurate, and timely work to client and its customers.
- A sound knowledge of the fundamental requirements of instrument and controls engineering, and the basic requirements of other engineering fields
- A sound knowledge of applicable local and international standards and statutory and regulatory requirements
- Experience specifying instrumentation for level, pressure, temperature, flow, weight, analyzers, etc.
- Experience specifying Distributed Control Systems (ABB, Honeywell, DeltaV, Ovation, etc.) and Programmable Logic Controllers (Allen-Bradley, Automation Direct, Eaton, etc.)
- Experience writing control narratives from which programmers can develop code.
- Experience with Safety Integrated Systems and performing SIL calculations.
- Competent use of electrical, instrument, and controls engineering specific software such as:
- Aveva Instrumentation
- Fisher Specification Manager
- Competent use of Microsoft Office
- Substantial technical and practical experience in instrument and controls engineering in the same or similar industry including experience in working in multi-disciplinary projects and teams.
- Proficient in conversational English.
Johnson Service Group (JSG) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. JSG provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.