16313 Dale Mabry Hwy
Job Number: 399413
Johnson Service Group is hiring for a SENIOR / LEAD ENGINEER (SUBSTATION)
Full Time Direct Hire
Location: Tampa, FL
Position Summary Description
- Performs complex substation electrical utility system inspection, analysis, design, and other design assignments requiring demonstrated proficiency of engineering principles, ethical behavior and the exercise of sound professional judgment.
- Delivers solutions for substation capital projects of varying complexities and coordinates the design and construction of major electric utility substation physical facilities.
- Develops documentation for substation facility compliance with the NERC Reliability Standards.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution is required
- Minimum 8 years of related experience
- Experience must include demonstrated proficiency in the development of specifications, detailed economic studies and evaluations, project management, and the analysis of complex engineering problems related to substation design, construction and operation.
- Ability to read electrical schematics and a working knowledge of the devices represented on typical utility substation schematics.
- Knowledge of 3-phase AC systems, and utility DC systems.
- Familiarity with substation testing, commissioning, and maintenance techniques.
- Licensure/registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) is preferred
- A Master’s Degree or registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) will equate to one (1) year of experience.
- Substation engineering and design
- Knowledge of transmission, substation, operations and construction
- Project planning and coordination
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications
- Coordinates activities in the following areas: project planning, development, engineering and equipment specifications, permitting and construction.
- Interprets contract requirements for engineering and construction services or equipment supply.
- Prepares engineering progress reports including design, construction, manufacturing, and consulting activities associated with assigned projects.
- Perform engineering calculations and studies as necessary to support project scope
- Develop and track schedules for engineering milestones
- Prepare comprehensive written and oral reports of technical issues, investigative findings, and engineering recommendations
- Coordinate with design consultants and interface with internal staff
- Prepares and updates system documentation including substation drawings/diagrams, equipment documentation and data, operating manuals, practices, and procedures.
- Designs and specifies substation materials, equipment and monitoring and recording equipment, oversees installation and maintenance.
- Support project Initiation, development, construction and closeout activities, including document control.
- Performs other duties as applicable to the position or as assigned.
- Conducts or leads others in design studies for process systems or equipment.
- Prepares or leads others into the development of technical specifications, pricing documents, bidder’s lists, bid evaluation criteria and project cost estimates for process systems, equipment or maintenance projects.
- Advises other department engineers on technical/engineering design criteria.
- Acts as a technical advisor for operation and maintenance groups.
- Lead multidisciplinary project team to complete preliminary and final engineering as well as construction activities for transmission substations
- Reviews and approves staff and consultant design and oversees, inspects and directs contractors, as required.
** Johnson Service Group (JSG) is an Equal Opportunity Employer. JSG provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.